CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Disciple Whom Jesus Loved

I have often times in my life been confused about this description of John in the Bible. It has made me wonder if John was Jesus' favorite and how the other disciples must of felt jealous.

In the past few months, the Holy Spirit has removed the veil on this point and it has really touched my heart.

John wasn't a favorite, John's identity had been transformed. The reference of Jesus loving John has nothing to do with favorites, but has to do with John receiving His great love and attaching it more to his identity than his own name! He no longer saw himself as John, but he was changed to the disciple whom Jesus loved. Wow. So that is true for all of us. Yet I say, I am Dani. Stay at home mom of three and wife of a traveling communicator. I love to dance, I love to read, I love my church, etc.

When my first thought of who I am is "In Christ. A child that He dearly loves," I believe my life will be even more transformed. He is doing this in me, and I am so grateful!

4 comments:

andrea said...

oh, I love that! and knowing that I belong to Him, just brings more peace to me.
After studying the 'the beloved disciple' as a Beth Moore study in my church...i felt like i learnt lots about God's love for John and about His love for me.
:)!

Dani Smith said...

sounds like a good study-i would love to do it sometime!

Jennifer Owens said...

I've never thought of it that way before - that's so true. I wonder what it would be like if I could really receive HIs great love and attach it so strongly to my own identity. Very cool insight...

Breanne said...

Me either - thanks for pointing that out. I want to fo taht staudy alos. I did the Paul one.