CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 24, 2008

If I Only Had a Green Nose

Have any of you ever read Max Lucado's children's book titled If I Only Had a Green Nose? It's about a little wooden character that gives into the wooden people society pressure to paint his nose green, just to find out they have changed the color and it has to be redone. In the end Eli, his maker, re-finishes his nose, but it is quite painful to be sanded down.

I think this book comes to my mind daily as I have many things in my life that resemble Punchinello's desire to paint his nose green. In the book, it's obvious that the people wanting to paint their noses green because others are doing it is silly. Then to watch them all change the color at the whim of one trendsetter is quite ridiculous. However, isn't that the same thing we do in the world of trends and styles? I get so wrapped up in trying to look pretty or stylish or be comfortable that I really believe the lies that I need more stylish clothes, or new shoes, or a different car. I am especially bad at always wanting more for the girls...of course stuff that I have decided they really need.

The Truth is that our family has everything we need and more. If we truly need anything else, the Lord will provide it. If He does not provide it, then we do not need it. Instead of letting this Truth set me free from my "want worm" (as my dear friend Crystal called it years ago) I choose to try to tell God what we need. I ask and I ask and I ask. Then when He does not provide what I decided we need, I am let down and disappointed.

We were never intended to measure what we need. We were and are designed to trust in the only One who meets every need.

I have begun to alter my prayers to be more like this, "Lord, I trust that when we need a different car, you will provide a different car. In the meantime, I praise you for your complete provisions for me and my family. I choose to trust you. I choose to surrender my wants, rest in your provisions, and enjoy Your Life you have put in me."

Renewing my mind by speaking the Truth of who God is really does set me free. I am free to enjoy life moment by moment instead of being wrapped up in wants and worries. The Truth of Christ is so powerful in us in every moment!

3 comments:

LIFe - Matt said...

Rock on Wifey! I'm glad you posted this...it's encouraging and challenging to me.

You're right, when we're removed from the situation, all this stuff looks like the green noses. It's funny how we can, as grown adults, get so wrapped up in the moment and so off base on our true needs.

I'm so glad you're my Wifey...and glad you'll never settle for whatever the next green nose may be, but always intent on living dependent on Christ.

It's so good to be on this journey with you.

JMBMOMMY said...

Oh my. I better go look in the mirror--my nose is probably green! :) No, seriously--good stuff to think about. It is so easy to get wrapped up in this world and what it teaches us we need.

Unknown said...

We need God. Nothing more, nothing less. What we WANT is alittle different.lol