CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 18, 2008

The Joys of Nursing my Third Child

The best parts of breastfeeding are that my baby gets awesome natural nutrition and it's relatively cheap...at least cheaper than formula. Add up the pump, hot water washing pump parts, milk storage bags, nursing pads, freezer/refrigerator for milk storage, etc and it's definitely not free! Anyway, I am thankful that my body produces a wonderful nutrient for my babies...:)

One of the worst parts is that my baby is on a nursing strike which means that my pump is my best friend. Because I spend so much time with my pump I feel like a cow...not a mommy bonding with baby. I have come to realize that she isn't going to nurse and my body is really not ever going to learn how much milk to make. My body is quite learning disabled and doesn't take the cues: when baby eats 5 oz...that means I only need to make 5 oz...not 15. Fifteen doesn't feel very good. :( Overproducing, mastitis, antibiotics, thrush, gentian violet, it's an ugly cycle.

This being my third child means that my body and pumping get analyzed by my older children. Everyday I get to answer question after question...why is that one hard and that one soft? Why are you pumping? Is that your wipple? Is it full? Is that milk for baby? Why are you pumping? Can I turn the pump off? Can I carry the bottle? Why are you pumping? Are you going to nurse baby? After the 20 questions I get the stare. Not at my eyes of course. I'm sitting there bonded with my pump looking at my four-year-old who is staring at my chest. Lovely, what a way to start the morning!

The other day we were visiting with a friend. I was nursing my newborn and look over and my two year old is sitting on the ground with her shirt up while my 4 year old is laying across her lap pretending to nurse. Wow, that was a fun one.

Tonight in the car my two year old was sitting in her car seat holding her baby doll. "Look Mommy, see my wipple? I'm feeding my baby." She has also taken the little faucet part of her pretend kitchen out of it's spot and spent a lot of time pretending to pump with it. She lifts her shirt, pumps, pours from the faucet into her play bottle, feeds her baby, and then starts all over.

What an adventure. This very "natural" process sure is complicated! When my baby turns a year old I will be so thrilled to never make another ounce of milk! It will be a glorious day! For now I will be thankful for the provision and continue on with my trusty pump. Our little one is SO worth it!

Can any of the Mommies out there relate?

4 comments:

Dawn Schneider said...

Thanks for including me in your group. My kids of course are older, Jordan is graduating high school this year (a year ahead), Jacob is 13 and Joshua 10; however I do remember those days.

Keep with it! It is a wonderful experience, pump or not, to be able to provide the nourishment your child needs. What a great gift we were given to be able to so completely care for our children. My problems weren't that I had too much milk, but that I didn't have enough. Not that my kids went on strike, but that they were wanting more and I didn't have it to give them. It is terrible that you have to switch to formula and then have it make your child so sick that you cry yourself to sleep because your child is starving and you cannot feed her.

The joys and sorrows of nursing are so completely wonderful that everything else you face pales in comparison. They grow so fast and before you know it, they are graduating from high school. You blinked and they were grown. They still need you, they just argue with you, have opinions of their own; which you may or may not share, and want to spend more and more time away from home. Letting them grow up and have a life outside of your home is scary but necessary.

Hold onto the kitchen faucet breast pumps, the little girls wanting to be so much like their mommy; their hero, that they copy all she does. Grandma's are supposed to have their own identity, their ability to spoil those lovely children, the special place in your daughter's life that can never be replaced by anyone else. Remember your mimi? But they are not the "mommy" in this case.

These days will pass quick enough and you'll be like me, trying to remember what it felt like to have your baby nestled into your breast, receiving their nourishment and bonding in a way that is difficult for those who didn't have that experience to imagine. It doesn't seem possible that my oldest; my baby, is 17.

God is good! Without Him, I wouldn't have made it these 17 years of parenting. Sitting back now and watching this beautiful little girl grow into a young woman with life ahead of her, heading out towards her future, armed with God at her side, is awesome!

Keep up the good work, keep looking to Christ for your needs, He will provide! Love you much. Dawn

JMBMOMMY said...

Hi Dani! Thanks for inviting me to be a part of your blog/life. It is refreshing to read about another mom striving to raise her children in the ways of the Lord --- and going through very similiar phases of life as I am :)

Oh the joys of breastfeeding. :) Thankfully, this time around (my 3rd too) has been quite enjoyable and easy. But I can see Bryce losing interest and getting so "big" he barely has time to stop to nurse....makes me rather sad. But I am looking forward to having my body back in a few months. :)

Julya also "nursed" her babies....I think it was one of her most precious moments. When Bryce was first born..everytime I fed Bryce .. she would run and get her baby and join me! Loved it.

Hope you and your family are having a great Sat. Matei is making some type of "Craft" with Julya and my boys are napping...wow, I get a break! :)

Celena

Dani Smith said...

Thanks Dawn and Celena for sharing your nursing stories. Isn't all of it an adventure? Once a parent life becomes a constant adventure doesn't it? Celena, I'm so glad you got a little break. That can be so rejuvinating! Thanks Dawn for reminding me not to take any of these moments for granted. I can already tell that it flies by so fast!

kacole said...

My sister's SON nursed Spider Man...so I think you are okay! Plus, hopefully the girls will remember this and desire to breastfeed their children because of watching you.

I too am familiar with the pump. It was my friend for three months (Caden is slightly tongue tied and never latched on), but when I went back to work I couldn't see how I would be able to keep up with it so we switched to formula. I admire your willingness to stick it out for a year. I hated the pumping for 30 minutes, then bottle feeding for 30 mins. It felt like my entire day was sucked up with feedings. Not to mention feeling like a cow. You're a good mommy!